Monday, March 3, 2008

Camas Magazine, We Hardly Knew Ye

So I was googling about today as is my wont (I do it for you, dear reader) and came across Camas: A Literary Magazine at the University of Montana. "Camas is a literary magazine published in the Environmental Studies Graduate Program of the University of Montana . . . Our goals are to encourage a dialogue on environmental and cultural issues in the West, celebrate the people who work, study, write, and live here, and to provide an opportunity for students and emerging writers to publish their work alongside established environmental authors."

Unfortunately it appears that Camas only lasted for two issues. From the second issue I quite liked this article, Dying with the High Plains by Kalie Rider, in which the author compares the death of her mother with that of the eastern Montana farm towns where she was raised. It is an artful piece of writing.

It is a hard world for small literary magazines! Try to buy one next time you are in a bookstore, many deserve our support.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Good news, Camas is still alive and well! The website is down temporarily but the journal continues. Yearly subscriptions are $15 for two issues, and we are currently accepting submissions for our next issue. Thank you for your comments and yes, I agree, we should support the small literary journals. We need the help of all those interested.

Larry Cebula said...

Good news! I will subscribe forthwith. Let me know when the website is back and I will post something about it.

Anonymous said...

The Camas website is up and running. Take a look. This winter's issue is likely to feature a piece by Terry Tempest Williams.

Larry Cebula said...

Hooray! I will post an update.