- WhatWasThere (see below) is a website (and iPhone app) that allows users to put historical photos on a Google map. It is not all that different than HistoryPin or similar services, but has a superior interface that integrates Google Street View to give you instant "before and after" views. Play with the slider on the image below!
- The Smithsonian lists the "Top Ten Works Lost to Time."
- My local newspaper the Spokesman Review now has a good local history tag. Local history is a staple of many newspapers and the reporting is often quite good, but finding the articles can be a chore. Glad to see this.
- This color promotional film of Berlin in 1936, produced for the Olympics of that year, is haunting. Combine it with this wartime newsreel, Bombing Berlin by Daylight and this post-war film of Berlin in ruins and you have a lesson plan. Or a lesson anyway!
- A single piece of recently-discovered paper in Peru is all that remains of a lost language.
- Big shot academic historian Felipe Fernández-Armesto says historians need to "start biting back" against bad pop history.
So, what are you reading?